While the search continues for missing two-year-old Angelo Tobias-Plaza, some residents of Goodwood hosted a candlelight vigil on Sunday, praying for answers in this week-long ordeal.
Since reports first emerged that the toddler was missing, residents have remained at the scene, holding on to hope for a breakthrough. Yet, as the days pass and questions continue to outweigh answers, they have turned to faith, choosing to publicly seek spiritual guidance in the face of deepening uncertainty.
Vice President of the Goodwood Village Council, Brian Patrick, offered a prayer for answers.
“You said to call upon you, oh God, and we need you like never at a time before, dear God. Heavenly Father, as a community, dear God, as a people, we ask you Lord to look down, dear God, to help us, oh God, to come to some understanding as to what would have transpired.”
With prayers, songs, and candlelight, the small gathering of villagers walked through the streets of the community.
Mr. Patrick said the event organised by the Goodwood Village Council was “really to help to bring and shed some light in a spiritual way as to what took place.”
The vigil was not endorsed by the Tobias family. However, Mr. Patrick and the villagers still felt compelled to proceed with it.
“We acknowledge that it is a personal situation for them, but at the same time it is a community issue that we are facing. Everyone is hurting.”
Mrs. Patricia Kirk-Prince is one of the villagers who has been out every day, lending support in whatever way she can to the family and those involved in the search efforts. For her, being part of the vigil is about bringing closure for a family and a community.
“Praying and asking God to show us some sign or some way we could put our hands on to that little child. As a mother, I am a mother of eight, with nine grandchildren and one great-grand, and I know what it feels like a mother to be going through this. It’s hurting me and it is not my child.”
While the search continues for little Angelo, villagers said they will continue to hold vigils until he is found.
Mrs. Kirk-Prince urged people to come out and support their efforts.
“I am asking the people of Tobago to come out and show your strength and support, and let us push this thing forward. Maybe if we come out and show a stronger strength, the police might work a little harder, we might get some more answers.”
Angelo has been reported missing since 7:30pm on May 11th. Since then, multi-agency searches have been conducted on land and in the nearby sea, with the TTPS expressing that they will continue following all leads until he is found.