New Grant Baby Dies From Poisoning, Female Relative Held

The step-grandmother of a nine month of baby girl who died after allegedly being fed an insecticide by a female relative says the family is still trying to come to terms with what happened.

The female relative has since confessed and told police she fed the baby Malathion insecticide using a syringe around noon on Wednesday, after becoming frustrated with the child’s uncontrollable crying.

Step-Grandmother of the child, Sharmela Deonarine, says the relative recently moved into their New Grant home following some problems in her common-law relationship. But Ms. Deonarine says the family is still shocked as to what took place.

Ms. Deonarine says the family used the chemical to spray around the perimeter of the house and was surprised the relative had possession of it.

The relative reportedly called an ambulance after the baby was found unresponsive, following which the child was taken to the Princes Town District Health Facility, but later transferred to San Fernando General Hospital where she died around 6:30pm.

Translate »
%d bloggers like this: